Sunday, November 28, 2010

Auto ride in Delhi

Well keeping my mouth shut has always been a challenge for me. Most of the time it leads to situation where I find uncomfortable and think it would have been better if I would have kept my mouth shut. Last Saturday I felt a bit different.
I reached my uncle’s home in hope of getting tasty food, unfortunately it was locked. I knew I needed to modify the plan for getting the free tasty food. So, I thought of taking auto to my other uncle’s home. I was standing at the junction waiting for auto. One auto came after 20 minutes he asked for Rs 100. Generally I would have bargained but exasperated of waiting I said ok. The driver has to get the CNG filled. There was huge line in front of the gas station. But this driver was smart one he went from the other side talked with guard and persuaded the other auto driver to let him get ahead. I found the driver to be street smart. Then I started asking him questions such as how long he has been driving the auto etc. He told me that he has been driving auto for last 7 years and still he is driving someone else auto. He needed to pay 11,000 per month as rent for auto. Well I started calculating and told him if he would have owned his own auto if he had took the loan from the bank. One thing I noticed about him that he was very cheerful. He did not own much and have to work so hard daily still he was optimistic and content about his life. I told him to open bank account and start with small savings. He tried to explain why he was not able to and only reason I can understand he never had enough to put in bank.
While talking he said I can give you one advice. I was not sure what advice he can give to me. He told to me never be in love, even if you are in love never marry your love but listen to your parents advice. I felt bit taken back. I thought he was judging everyone with same parameters and he is being judgemental and rude. Then he told me his love story and the painful ending where he was dragged to court.
The next thing he told me he had again married and to the girl of his parents choice. He is blessed with two kids. There was a smile on his face when he talked about his family. Today was birthday of his daughter. He was actually on his way to pick his parents from the railways station when I stopped him in the way.
He dropped me before my uncle’s apartment. I took Rs 200 from purse and paid him. I told him to buy some gift for his daughter. There was a big smile on his face. Well I think most of us never are grateful even when we get thousand of rupees transferred in our bank accounts. But his face told me those extra Rs 100 meant a lot to him.
I am not sure that actually we all are running after the money we earn or there is something else we want to run after. It was just a momentary thought I saw my cousin playing and joined him in playing football.
Before sleeping I remembered the auto journey, I thought why this was different from other auto rides. Was it because it told me that loving someone is so bad or we all humans are capable of loving equally or how much Rs 100 can matter to people? May be all but one thing that was the most important if we want we can add happiness to others life whenever where ever we wants, we just need to see a face and think I want to make this person happy. If you don’t believe just close your eyes and think about your loved ones. You will know how to make them happy, for others whom you don’t know start with a smile.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Excellent post..Shows that someone has a big heart :)

Completely agree with you about the way u find happiness by seeing someone else happy or putting a smile on their face...Cheers to you..Be as you are..

Unknown said...

Nice to know about the soft side of yours!!!! :-)